|   home
 Jan.70   |   Feb. 70   |   Mar. 70   |    April 70   |   May 70   |   June 70   |   July 70   |   Aug. 70   |   Sept 70   |   Oct. 70   |   Nov. 70   |   Dec. 70
Mar. 70
Back To Index

   This newspaper is an authorized unofficial publication for U.S. Armed Forces assigned to the Pacivic Command.  Contents of Pacific Stars and Stripes are not necessarily the offical view of the U.S. Government or the Department of Defense.

   Columnists and cartoonists on this and other pages express their own opinions and these views are not necessarily shared by Pacific Stars and Stripes.

   Pacific Stars and Stripes is published in four editions daily at Tokyo, Japan, APO San Francisco, 96503.  It is distributed to authorized personnel for 10 cents daily, $2.50 monthly or $30.00 yearly, payable in advance per AR 230-1 and AFR 176-1.  Second class postage paid at Post Office, San Francisco, Calif.

   The appearance of displays in this newspaper concernign commerical publications does not constitute an endorsement by the Department of Defense, the Military Departments or the Commander-in-Chief, Pacific.

   Col. William V. Koch, USA..................Editor-in-Chief

   Lt. Col. J. F. Townshend, Jr., USAF Deputy Editor-in-Chief

   1st Lt. Herman G. Linnartz, Jr., USA.............Hq. Cmdt.

   Capt. R. H. W. Grunwald, USMC ...........Asst. EIC/Vietnam

   Gordon Skean ..............................General Manager

   Richard T. Owen .......................Circulation Manager

   Paul J. Brumbaugh ......................Production Manager

   Malcolm M. Silles ........................Business Manager

   John K. Baker .............................Managing Editor

       Howard C. Peterson ........................News Editor

       Lee J. Kavetski .........................Sports Editor

       Thomas A. Scully ...........................Copy Chief

       Frederick G. Braitsch, Jr. ................Photo Chief

Pacific Stars  and Stripes

An authorized publication of the U.S. Armed forces in the far east.

Price 10 cents.



TOKYO: ALL Offices: 402-4104

Japan news Bureau

           402-4101 Ext. 51, 53, 41

South Vietnam: Saigon

MACV 3604, ARVN 31952

Thailand:  BKK 70070 ext. 902

Washington:               Room 2E756,

Pentagon, Washington, D.C. 20301




    Hong Kong

Swindon Book Co.

  13-15, Lock Rd., Kowloon 6-2040


Bangkok....... BKK 70070 Ext. 901

Korat ....                   4420


Saigon MACV ........         2202

Nha Trang ..........         2708

Cam Ranh Bay .......         4255

Long Binh ..........      LB 3894

Da Nang ............ Motley   226

   All free distribution handled

though USARV Command In-

formation Division - Long Binh 4819.  APO 9637

   Due to copyright restrictions

subscriptions cannot be accepted

for delivery to addresses in the

 United States.

01Mar70-Grim Picture of Land Where 16 Viets Met Death


    S&S Staff Correspondent

   LZ ROSS, Vietnam - Five enlisted Marines are suspected of killing 16 Vietnamese women and children and Friday their battalion commander painted a grim picture of the land and war into which they had been thrust.

   "Those aren't villages out there," said Lt. Col. Charles G. Cooper, 42.  "Those are ruins of villages."  The area just a little more than a mile south southeast of this battalion headquarters, is like a ghost land where the very few people who are left cower underground at night to avoid roaming bands of Viet Cong, main force North Vietnamese and U.S. troops, Cooper said.

   Allied and Communist rockets, mortars, artillery and bombs regularly pound the free fire zone where people are told that anything that moves after dark is considered the enemy, the 19-year veteran said.

   The Saigon government has repeated efforts that last three years to get the people to move out and many have but there are still women, old men and children out there who scratch out a meager living growing vegetables and raising a few scrawny cattle, Cooper said.

   First Bn., 7th Regt., 1st Div. Marines in the area had been sweeping for six days prior to Feb. 19, the day the 16 Vietnamese civilians died, Cooper said.  They had been under constant, nerve-cracking strain and Cooper called the men "very tired and frustrated."

   "That's a big fort out there," said Cooper.  He described it as one fighting trench and bunker after another.  "That's Indian country."

   On Feb. 18, Cooper said, one of the companies involved in the sweep-not the company the suspected men come from - spotted a Vietnamese child.  The point man and the squad leader went forward to investigate, Cooper said, nd the child blew up a booby trap wounding one of them.  The child then shot up the squad with an AK47, Cooper said, killing two and wounding two.  The child got away, he added.

   The afternoon before the death of the women and children one of the companies detonated a booby trap in their command post, Cooper said.  That night an all-volunteer patrol went out on a "mobile ambush" and it is these five men who are suspected of killing the Son Thang villagers.

   The patrol had been out only a short time-just after dark-when Cooper said they reported contact.  That is the last anyone knows for sure about what happened on the battleground.

   The next day, Cooper says, an old woman told another Marine patrol about the dead bodies.  The Marines found the bodies and buried them, Cooper says.

   Cooper stressed the state of mind of his men.  "They were under tremendous mental pressure," he said.  "They were very tired and frustrated" at their lack of results and constant casualties.

   Cooper also said that two days after the incident 25 more Vietnamese left the area.

   Cooper himself pressed the charges against the five men.  It was an act that made him "very sad."

   The five men are individually informing their families of the allegations, Cooper said.  Until all the families are notified the names are being withheld, Marine spokesmen said.

02March Hoi Chanh Leads to Cache Bounty

   LZ CENTER, Vietnam (Special) - Led by a Hoi Chanh, 196th Inf. Brigade soldiers hit the munitions jackpot 15 miles northwest of Tam Ky.

   A patrol from B Co., 3rd Bn., 21st Inf. uncovered more than 16,380 rounds of small arms ammunition.

   The cache consisted of 9.700 rounds of rifle ammunition, 6,680 rounds of machine gun ammunition, 42 antitank rounds and six mortar shells.

03Mar70-Reds Down Huey; Fighting Scattered

    S&S Vietnam Bureau

   SAIGON - Communist gunners downed an American UH1 helicopter Saturday morning 35 miles southeast of Da Nang, bringing to 1,491 the number of American helicopters hot down over South Vietnam since January, 1961, according to Allied spokesmen.  Light, scattered contact marked ground action throughout the day.

   The crewmen aboard the downed chopper escaped uninjured before the demolished bird erupted in flames, U.S. Army officials reported.

03 Mar70-(Note:The Americal Division operated under the command of the III Marine Amphibious Force, until the Marine Corps presence was reduced in I Corps.)

   DA NANG, Vietnam (AP) - A tiny piece of the Vietnam war ended Saturday.  The U.S. Marines surrendered the Da Nang press center to the U.S. Army.

   The formal changing of the guard won't take place for a few more days, but for all practical purposes, the Marines' five-year operation of the Riverside Press Camp closed with a farewell party on the outdoor patio.

   It was subdued by Press Camp standards, not to be compared with the legendary marathon blasts of the past.

   Nobody fell off the dock and had to be rescued from the tangled concertina wire that supposedly protects the Press Camp from a Viet Cong amphibious assault.

   There was no "Belly-bumping" contest, matching correspondents and Marines, and a certain Marine major was not there to demonstrate his uncanny skill in knocking cockroaches off the bar wall with glasses.

   The Army is taking over the press center's operation as part of a wholesale reversal of command, effective March 9, (1970) that will put the Marines in a secondary role in northernmost I Corps - preparatory to their probable complete withdrawal by the end of 1970.

   The U.S. military command opened the Da Nang press center in early 1965 and the Marines soon took over, and as far as most civilian newsmen are concerned the Marines have always been there.

   Situated on the shore of the Da Nang River, the Press Camp- formally known as the Combat Information Bureau (CIB) - is a motel-like compound.

   Since April, 1965, hundreds of civilian newsmen and women from most corners of the world have used the Press Camp as the main base for covering the war in the northern five provinces of South Vietnam.

05Mar70-Hoi Chanh Guides GIs To Cache

   LZ PROFESSIONAL, Vietnam (Special) - The Americal Div. infantrymen were right on top of an enemy weapons cache and didn't know it.

   "Then," said Capt. James F. Kettrick, "our Vietnamese guide got that 'expression of certainty' on his face."

   Taking their cue from the frail Vietnamese, the 196th Inf. Brigade soldiers uncovered 17 enemy weapons and a ton of rice.

   C Co., 1st Bn., 46th In., was searching an area 10 miles southwest of Tam Ky.  They were accompanied by a Civilian Irregular Defense Group.  A Vietnamese, who had recently rallied to the Government of Vietnam, was guiding the allies to the suspected location of the enemy weapons.

   "We had gone over four miles," said Kettrick, " and I was beginning to have second thoughts about the cache."

   Then the hoi chanh stopped.  The Americans saw nothing, but the rallier walked right over to the well-hidden enemy firearms.

   "We were right on top of the cache and still didn't see it," said, Spec. 4 David Kelley.  "it was so well camouflaged that unless a person knew exactly where to look he would never expect a thing.

05Mar70-ASP3 Puts Kill in Cannons


   CHU LAI, Vietnam (Special)

   -Optimism - "an inclination to put the most favorable construction upon actions and happenings or to anticipate the best possible outcome."

   With tons of explosives just a few feet away, "optimism" is the byword for the men of Chu Lai's Ammunition Supply Point (ASP) 3, the largest ASP in the I Corps area.

   UNder the operational control of Force Logistic Support Group-Bravo (FLSG-B) Sub-Unit 1, the men of the ASP daily handle tons of air and ground munitions.  According to ASP 3's ammunition officer, 2nd Lt. William R. Hicks, "The men who operate the ASP work an average of 14 to 15 hours a day, seven days a week in keeping with their main mission of supplying Marine Aircraft Group (MAG) 12 and 13 at Chu Lai AB with air munitions.

   "In addition to supplying the MAGs," added By. Sgt. Leon H. Thomas, NCOIC of the ASP, "the unit also handles the overflow munitions of the Da Nang ASPs.  During the heavy rains in late November and early December an average of three convoys a week carried ammo from Chu Lai to Landing Zone 'Baldy' and Da Nang," said Hicks.

   Perhaps one of the most dangerous jobs at the ASP belongs to the Marines who store Grade 3 (unserviceable) ammunition.  the men handle a wide variety of this type of ammo, including loose small arms rounds, M26 fragmentation hand grenades, defective rocket pods and artillery rounds.  The ammunition is repacked and shipped out by Grade 3 personnel for disposal.

   Unserviceable ammo is not the only hazard faced by the ASP Marines.  Viet Cong forces have been active just outside the ASP's perimeter and a rocket or mortar attack poses a major threat.  How do the Marines of ASP 3 feel about their hazardous duty?  Thomas said with a smile, "We try not to think about it."

07Mar70-??? Toll Up Sharply

........Wednesday's deadliest action for enemy troops came when Americal Div. forward observers spotted 46 enemy soldiers, clad in dark uniforms and equipped with packs and rifles, crossing a foot bridge over the Suoi Phuoc River, 10 miles west of Quang Ngai City.  A call for a fire mission was answered by 1st Bn., 14th Arty., with a seven-minute barrage of high explosives which left 22 enemy bodies in and around the strike zone, according to official reports.

10Mar70-Reds Down Army, Marine Choppers

U.S. Helicopter Toll Reaches 1,500

S&S Vietnam Bureau

SAIGON - Communist sharp-shooters gunned down two U.S. helicopters Friday and Saturday, bringing the total to 1,500 choppers lost to enemy gunfire in South Vietnam since 1961, an official spokesman said.

   More than one-third of the helicopters lost - 528 - have been shot down since Jan. 1, 1969, he said.

   Friday morning, Red gun crews shot down a U.S. Marine CH46 35 miles southwest of Da Nang as Leathernecks and Vietnamese irregulars battled Communist riflemen below.  American losses in the crash were given as one killed and two wounded.  Five other Americans were wounded in the ground fighting as the combined ground force, aided by F4 Phantom jets and helicopter gunships, netted three enemy dead,  officials said.

   Two Americans died and two were wounded Saturday morning when their U.S. Army UH1 Huey helicopter was downed by Communist fire 87 miles south-southeast of Da Nang, official spokesmen said.


   Elsewhere, Vietnamese Popular Force soldiers and local militiamen killed 21 Reds early Saturday in repulsing mortar and ground attacks against two PF outposts and three hamlets near Thang Binh District town 20 miles southeast of Da Nang.  Friendly casualties were light, according to an official spokesman.

    The night before, Vietnamese irregulars caught two enemy companies in an ambush 42 miles south-southeast of Da Nang and, supported by artillery and jet strikes, the Vietnamese troops killed 13 Reds while suffering one wounded.

10Mar70-VC Tagged Out At 2 Base Camps

   FIRE SUPPORT BASE LIZ, Vietnam (Special)-  

A sharp-eyed company of Americal Div. soldiers recently evicted some surprised Viet Cong from two well-concealed base camps in the foothills of the Con Vu Mountains, seven miles west of Duc Pho.

   D Co., 1st Bn., 20th Inf., of the 11th Inf. Brigade, was working in platoon-size elements in the thick brush of the area.  Toward dusk one evening, the 3rd Platoon's scout, Van Vo Dung, spotted smoke curling up in front of him.  He had discovered a VC basecamp neatly and expertly tucked away in the jungle foliage.  The enemy inside were caught completely by surprise.

   "We started tossing in hand grenades and the VC must have thought it was mortars coming in.  We fired our M16s and could see in the mud where they went slipping and sliding around corners to get out of there," said Sgt. Robert Frye.

   The platoon made a quick search of the basecamp, found fresh blood trails, and later withdrew to a defensive perimeter 300 yards away.  At dawn the men checked out the seven huts built of straw and cardboard, invisible from the aid.  Each hut contained a tunnel and a considerable amount of miliary and personal gear.

   Caches of rice, salt, and other food staples were found in the bushes, in holes and in trees. Much of their equipment was strewn throughout the bush, a result of the enemy's hasty withdrawal.

   The company interpreter, S. Sgt. Phan Van Tinh, surmised that the camp was a cooking center, a "VC kitchen" which prepared food for company-size elements in the field.

   The camp had apparently been there for some time and housed approximately 20 people, some of whom were nurses who had left most of their extensive medical supplies behind.

   Three days later, the company uncovered another enemy support camp - this one a VC main force ordnance camp in the mountains two miles southeast of the first.

   The 3rd Platoon was patrolling the flatlands when it came upon fresh tracks leading into the mountains.  The GIs climbed the east slope and halted just short of what turned out to be an enemy ordnance factory.

   The next morning, the men pursued the trail further up the slope.  Signs of an enemy encampment became more apparent as they found piles of rice husks and trench networks in the area.

   They soon found more fresh tracks, a freshly dug bunker, an AK47 round and clothing hung out to dry.  Following the tracks, they entered the base camp and found it deserted.  There were two huts - on a general cooking area, and the other an ordnance plant in which the men found a five-gallon can of petna and three homemade grenades.  A further search revealed a bag containing 17 more grenades and an ammo can full of tools.

11Mar70-Army Takes Command of U.S. I Corps Forces


   S&S Staff Correspondent

   DA NANG, Vietnam - In combined ceremonies at Camp Horn Monday the U.S. Army assumed command of U.S. forces in I Corps - the five northernmost provinces of South Vietnam - from the U.S. Marines while command of the 3rd Marine Amphibious Force (III MAF) passed from Lt. Gen. Herman Nickerson Jr. to Lt. Gen. Keith B. McCutcheon.

   Reduction in U.S. Marine strength to 40,000 men under Phase III redeployment dictated a change in I Corps command from III MAF to the Army's XXIV Corps, presently commanded by Lt. Gen. Melvin Zais, 52.

   At peak strength, III MAF controlled over 80,000 Marines plus 72,000 Army personnel in the Americal Div. nd the Army's XXIV Corps which in turn commanded the 101st Airborne Div., the 1st Brigade of 5th Mech. Inf. Div. and at one time the 1st Air Cav. Div.

   THe III MAF was first activated at Da Nang on May 5, 1965 under the command of Gen. Lewis W. Walt two months after elements of the Third Marine Div. entered the war with a landing at Red Beach here.

   As part of the command shift, XXIV Corps headquarters will leave Phu Bai and take over Camp Horn from III MAF.  The Marine command will relocate at Camp Haskins at Red Beach.

   During Monday's ceremonies, Gen. Creighton Abrams, commander of U.S. forces in Vietnam awarded a Gold Star in lieu of a second Distinguished Service Cross to Nickerson.

   After the ceremonies, Nickerson said, "I hate to go.  I really believe in what these people are doing here.  We've just got to give it a bit more time  and it'll come.  Maybe we can come back later and help with the other side of things, possibly in tourism or in industrial development.

12Mar70- 5 More Charged in My Lai

   ATLANTA, Ga. (AP)-

  The Army named five more men Tuesday in charges involving the alleged massacre at My Lai, including Capt. Ernest L. Medina, former commanding officer of Lt. William L. Calley Jr.

   The charges bring to 10 the number of servicemen accused in the 1968 raid.

   Those charged besides Medina are Capt. Eugene M. Kotouc, S. Sgt. Kenneth L. Hodges, Pvt. Max D. Hutson and Sgt. Esquiel Torres.

   All five are currently assigned to Ft. McPherson at Atlanta.

   Kotouc, a native of Milford, Neb., is charged with assault, maiming and murder of "one suspected enemy person" and with murder of another during interrogation on the day of the My Lai attack, March 16, 1968.

   Medina was charged with one charge of murder, one of maiming and murder, both during interrogation on the day of the My Lai raid, and a third charge of assault with a deadly weapon on the day after the raid, also during interrogation.

   Medina has said he knows of no massacre at My Lai.  He told newsmen in Washington early in December that he neither ordered a massacre, nor heard of one.

    Hodges, 24, faces two charges, one of rape, and another of assault with intent to commit murder.

   Hutson, 22, faces charges of rape, murder and assault with intent to commit murder.

   Torres, 21, is accused in two counts: murder of one person, to murder and assault with intent to commit murder.

   The charges against two other soldiers were technically transferred to Ft. McPherson in Atlanta.  The soldiers are:

   -Sgt. Charles E. Hutto 21, of Tallulah, La., accused of rape, murder, assault with intent to commit murder.

  -Pvt. Gerald A. Smith, 22, of Chicago, accused of murder and indecent assault, a charge short of rape.

   Others previously charged in the alleged massacre are Calley, Sgt. David Mitchell, 29, of St. Francisville, La., and Capt. Thomas K. Willingham, 25 accused of killing 20 Vietnamese.  The Army has not announced whether Willingham will face a court-martial.

   While the Army declined to release details Tuesday it did say the charges generally involve offenses allegedly committed against Vietnamese while the accused men were serving with the Americal Division in Vietnam in March 1968.

   Calley, 26, of Miami, has been ordered to undergo a court-martial at Ft. Benning, Ga., May 19.  He is charged with premeditated murder in the slaying of 102 civilians in the My Lai raid.

   Mitchell is charged with assault with intent to murder 30 Vietnamese noncombatants.

   The Army ordered consolidation of the investigation of the alleged massacre and the processing of allegations under a single senior officer-Lt. Gen. Albert O. Connor, commanding general of the 3rd Army at Ft. McPherson, in Atlanta.

   Mitchell is stationed at Ft. Hood, Tex., but no date has been announced for a trial.

  The Army declined to release details of Tuesday charges on the ground that it might prejudice the rights of the accused.

   The new charges were forwarded to the next higher commander for a determination of whether they should be referred to the military equivalent of a grand jury.

   There was no indication when such a determination bay be made.

   If the charges are referred, a formal investigating officer would be named under provisions of article 32 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

   After appropriate investigation, a recommendation then would be made on whether those charged would face court-martial.

   In Washington, a House armed services subcommittee which has been investigating the My Lai case, announced that it now can proceed with formal hearings.

   Chairman F. Edward Hebert, D-La., said the sessions probably will take four or five days but will be held behind closed doors because of the pending criminal proceedings in military courts.

   Hebert also said his panel, in a further effort to avoid prejudicing the rights of any present or potential defendant in any criminal case, will not seek to fix criminal responsibility in its report.

   Hebert said the panel's staff late last month had assembled more than 3,900 pages of witness statements and hundreds of pages of documents.

   Hebert's subcommittee reportedly has invited Calley and other men accused in connection with the My Lai incident to testify, and plans to look into money payments for news accounts and photographs when the My Lai story broke late last year.

12Mar70-Enemy Guns Down 2 More Copters

   S&S Vietnam Bureau


  .......Four Communist 122mm rockets slammed into Tam Ky City, the capital of QuangTin Province, 40 miles southeast of Da Nang early Monday evening and wounded 11 Vietnamese civilians, an official spokesman said.

12Mar70-2 Americal Units Earn Presidential Citations

    SAIGON (S&S) - The Presidential Unit Citation, awarded on the basis of superior performance against the enemy was presented to two Americal Div. armored cavalry units Monday in ceremonies at Chu Lai, an official spokesman said.

   The citation was given to the men of the 1st Sq., 1st Armored Cav. and F Troop 8th Cav. for their participation in over 200 actions with the enemy around Hoi An and Tam Ky during the period Jan. 1, 1968, to March 31, 1968.

   During that time, the two units killed 1,046 North Vietnamese army and Viet Cong soldiers and suffered only 11 American deaths.

12Mar70-Everything Went Dead-Except Pilot's Courage


   CHU LAI, Vietnam (Special)

-"Well, after both engines of my Phantom went out, everything just sort of turned to worms."

   Thus Capt. Terril J. Richardson administrative officer and F4B pilot from Marine Fighter Attack Sq. (VMFA) 314 at Chu Lai, sums up a night-time ordeal during which the generators of both his engines stopped working, causing his navigation and stabilization systems, his radio, cockpit and instrument lights and the plane's entire electrical system to blink out.

   Assigned to provide escort for a reconnaissance aircraft in pre-dawn darkness, Richardson and his radar intercept officer (RIO), Capt. Allan W. Massey, were heading for the rendezvous point, flying above the overcast in moonless sky.

   Suddenly, both generators quit working.  The left one came back on quickly, so Richardson decided to abort the mission and try to make it back to Chu Lai.

   Then the left generator stopped again.  He immediately deployed the ram-air turbines on his engines, which acted as emergency generators, giving him barely enough power to operate the many instruments required for night flying.

   Then both fire-warning lights came on.  "Things really began to get interesting about then," Richardson said.  No evidence of fire was found on board the aircraft, so he decided to press on for Chu Lai and attempt to save the plane.

   Two minutes later the ram-air turbines failed, leaving the men again without electrical power.  "The only thing left to fly with was a flashlight and an emergency hand compass," Richardson said.  "So I did."  

   The power failure cut all communications between Richardson and his RIO, Massey, now a passenger in the back seat and literally in the dark concerning the developing situation.

   With his hand compass, Richardson got the Phantom headed in the general direction of Chu Lai and flew the aircraft by dead reckoning.  His stabilization gear and gyro-compass were not functioning, and the air-speed indicator and altimeter were unreliable.

   The overcast had thinned enough near the coast for Richardson to see the glow of villages below.  He followed the coastline south toward Chu Lai, then flew out to sea long enough to drop his ordnance and external fuel tanks.

   He turned back towards Chu Lai, and started a gradual letdown, breaking out of the overcast three miles south of the field.

   Massey, trusting in Richardson's ability and determined to stick with the aircraft, tightened his seat straps and prepared for what he hoped would be a smooth landing.

   Richardson lowered his landing gear and flaps by emergency air-pressure.  Then his utility hydraulic system failed.  He couldn't be sure that his landing gear was locked for landing.  He decided to chance it.

   He made one low pass by the control tower to let them know he was in the area since his radio was dead.  Then, making sure he did not fly over any troop living quarters, he began his landing attempt.  By this time the tower had crash crews waiting on the field, and the emergency aircraft arresting gear was stretched across the strip.

   Richardson lowered his arresting gear and cautiously lowered the Phantom onto the runway.  It was a perfect landing and arrest.

   Richardson's reaction: "I was very relieved that it was all over."

12Mar70-American Forces Vietnam Network

   Vietnam AM Radio

(AFVN radio broadcasts news on the hour, news, and sports at 3 and 7 a.m.,, noon, 4, 6, and 10 p.m. daily.  The mid-afternoon sports roundup Saturday is at 3 instead of 4 p.m.)

    Friday, Mar 13

12:05 A.M. - Tonight Show

12:30- Jazz Unlimited

12:55- M.J. Bennett

 1:05- Orient Express

 4:05- Barbara Randolph

 5:05- Joe Allison's Country Corner

 6:15- Morning Meditations

 6:20- Dawnbuster

 9:05- Young Sound

10:05- Roger Carroll

11:05- Power of Music

12:30- USO Showtime

 1:05- Gene Weed on Sports

 3:05- Herman Griffith

 3:30- Johnny Grant

 3:55- M.J. Bennett

 4:10- Town & Country

 6:30- Serenade in Blue

 6:55- The Huddle

 7:05- GO

 9:05- Million Dollar Music

10:30- Million Dollar Music

11:05- Pete Smith

11:50- Evening Meditations.

14Mar70-2 GIs Die, 5 Wounded As Reds Riddle 6 Helos

    S7S Vietnam Bureau

   SAIGON - Communist antiaircraft gunners found their mark six times Wednesday, riddling and destroying three U.S. Army helicopters and crippling three others, a U.S. military spokesman said Thursday.

   American losses in the six helicopters totaled two killed and five wounded, the spokesman said.

   The first chopper shot down, an AH1 Cobra gunship, crashed Wednesday morning 32 miles southwest of Da Nang in Quang Nam Province, killing one and wounding one.


   Pacific Stars and Stripes' Spec. 4 John Cody in Da Nang reported that three Americal Div. UH1 helicopters trying to evacuate wounded GIs from a heavily-forested mountain slope 89 miles south-southeast of Da Nang late Wednesday afternoon, ran into repeated fusillades of steel-jacketed, armor-piercing AK50 machine gun fire from nearby Communist troops.  All but three choppers took hits but non crashed, Codey said.

   Cody described the battle setting as a steep clearing on the side of a 2,000-foot mountain blanketed with 30-40-foot high trees.

   The call for medical evacuation helicopters came after Americal Div. infantrymen on the mountainside absorbed a 15-round 82mm mortar attack followed by heavy rifle, machine gun and rocket-grenade fire from a Communist force crouched in the mountain's dense forests, a U.S. spokesman said.

   The first UH1 helicopter on the scene drew blistering rifle and AK50 machine gun fire, taking hist before being forced to run back.  One U.S. soldier was killed during the rescue mission.

   Minutes later, a UH1 helicopter from the 54th Medical Helicopter Ambulance Det. was hit and forced back.

   Half an hour later, a third UH1, piloted by WO1 Kenneth W. Axt of the 54th, made its way to the mountainside clearing in an attempt to pick up the wounded GIs, Cody said.

   Hits on his chopper forced him to lose power, but he was able to pull up and auto-rotate down the mountainside to another open clearing, Axt said.  Axt and his crew were rescued by another helicopter.

   Meanwhile, the infantry troops moved part way down the mountainside, allowing helicopter gunships and a flareship to move in and work over their former position, Cody said.

   After dark, Axt, his crew and the crew of the second damaged chopper flew to Chu Lai to get new helicopters and then returned to pull out the wounded, Cody said.

   U.S. casualties in the action totaled one killed and six sounded, according to an official spokesman.

15Mar70-2 More Copters Downed

   Allies Kill 160 in Heavy Fighting.

   S&S Vietnam Bureau

   SAIGON - .......

    Meanwhile, artillery forward observers from the 11th brigade, Americal Div. spotted 47 enemy soldiers Thursday afternoon and evening, traveling in three bands, 69 miles south-southeast of Da Nang in Quang Ngai Province and called in strikes which killed all 47, an official spokesman said.

15Mar70- VC Loses Girl, Gains Revenge

   LZ PROFESSIONAL, Vietnam  (Special) - A Viet Cong soldier whose fiancee had jilted him for a North Vietnamese soldier, recently rallied to the government of Vietnam side and led U.S. Americal Div. soldiers to a cache of weapons and ammunition 18 miles southeast of Tam Ky.

   The young Vietnamese had not become a member of the Viet Cong voluntarily.  The NVA had recruited him by force and taken him to a strange area for training.

   This was hard enough to swallow, but the worst was yet to come.  Upon returning home, the newly "recruited" VC found his girlfriend had left him for the very same NVA who had pressed him into the Communist ranks.

   So one rainy evening, the Viet Cong soldier crept away and turned himself in to the Government of Vietnam.  He then volunteered to lead the Allies to an enemy cache.

   The next morning Echo Recon, 1st Bn., 46th Inf., 196th Inf. Brigade, set out with the rallier.  The found the cache in afternoon.

   "It made our job a lot easier," said 1st Lt. Richard Crain, reconnaissance platoon leader.  "He led us directly to a well-concealed storage hooch."

   Included in the enemy arsenal were eight B40 rockets, two rifles, 300 rounds of small arm ammunition and eight gas masks.


15Mar70-Lt. Col. Cox New VMFA 115 Boss

   CHU LAI, Vietnam (Special)

   -Lt. Col. John V. Cox took the reins of Marine Fighter Attack Sq. (VMFA) 115 during change of command ceremonies here recently.

   He replaces Lt. Col. Donald P. Bowen who is returning to the States to complete the Management Engineering Masters Degree Program at George Washington University.

16Mar70-Hospital Ship Repose to Be Mothballed


S&S Staff Correspondent

   DA NANG, Vietnam - The Navy hospital ship Repose, which served more than four years off the coast of South Vietnam, steamed out of Da Nang harbor Saturday afternoon bound for California where she will be decommissioned and placed in the reserve fleet at Vallejo, Calif.

   Since arriving off Chu Lai, 75 miles southeast of Da Nang, on Feb. 16, 1966, the ship's 316 medical personnel treated more than 9,000 battle casualties, admitted more than 24,000 persons for inpatient care and treated 37,000 out-patients.  

    The Repose was awarded two Navy unit commendations, the nation's second highest unit award, for her services.

   The ship is being sent home because of a reduction in U.S. casualties and the redeployment of U.S. forces.  Her sister ship, the Sanctuary will remain on station off I Corps.

   Many of the medical personnel aboard will be assigned to new duty stations in the Pacific area; with some of them going to the Repose's sister ship.

   In addition to U.S. and Allied fighting men, the ship's medical personnel also treated Vietnamese civilians.  Commander of the ship and its 290-man naval crew is Capt. Robert F. Menge, 52.

   Capt. Arthur J. Draper, 56, a graduate of Harvard Medical School commands the medical service section of the hospital ship.

   The Repose nicknamed the "Angel of the Orient," is scheduled to arrive off California around the end of March and be decommissioned April 15.

17Mar70-Silver Eagles Flying High

   CHU LAI, Vietnam (Special)

-In more than 45 months of combat operations in Vietnam the Silver Eagles of Marine Figher Attack Sq. (VMFA) 115 have accumulated more than 10,000 accident-free flight hours.

   The 10,000 hours without a major aircraft accident was achieved entirely in Vietnam.  VMFA-115, flying the F4B Phamtom is the senior Marine Corps fixed-wing combat squadron in Vietnam.

   The clos air support mission putting VMFA-115 over the 10,000 mark was flown recently by Lt. Col. Donald P. Bowen, commanding officer of VMFA0115, and his radar intercept officer, Chief W.O. Jakc Barden.

   In their 45 months in Vietnam, VMFA-115 has flown over 8,100 combat sorties delivering more than 15,780 tons of ordnance on enemy targets.

17Mar70-Rice Harvest Safe, GIs Stem the Tide


   DA NANG, Vietnam (Special)

-First Lt. Donald J. Mikulka is a revolutionary - at least in his approach to civic action.

   Mikulka is in charge of the Civic Action program for Marine Aircraft Group (MAG) 11 and believes that the old approach to Vietnamese problems is no longer always valid.

   "I spoke with village leaders recently concerning projects of immediate interest.  They expressed their fear that over 125 acres of rice would be ruined when brackish water from the Cau Do River comes in at high tide.  The old dam was no longer functional and had to be replaced," said Mikulka.

   "The village council and I agreed that I would provide the material and they would provide the labor."

   Sixty workers from four hamlets worked in shifts.  Using traditional carrying baskets, they moved the equivalent of more than 40 truckloads of dirt to the site and built a dike.

   Working in the river at low tide, they drove shafts of lumber into the mud and secured plywood to the shafts with bamboo twine.

   Laboring from daybreak to sunset, the villagers completed the dam i none week.

   The hamlets have recently put in a request to Saigon for materials to build a more permanent dam next year.

   But this year's rice harvest appears safe and a new self-help concept "stemmed the tide."


Unit Misses Little Lee

Sweet Sorrow for Medics

   By GY. SGT


   CHU LAI, Vietnam (Special)

-No matter how bright the sun shines at  Chu Lai, there will always be a little darkness in the Marine Aircraft Group (MAG) 12 area.  The darkness will be even more personal for the corpsmen in the MAG-12 dispensary now that little Lee is gone.

   Lee was picked up last May by a medcap team in Tam Ky.  At the time he was suffering from malnutrition and intestinal parasites.  Brought to the Chu Lai sick bay, Lee was taken over by Hospitalman Ken Wilson.  During his first three months at the dispensary Lee was listless and seldom spoke.  It is said he was even too weak to cry.

   His age was estimated at between six and seven.  This was based on the fact he had cut three permanent teeth.

   As Lee's health improved so did his disposition.  He began to smile.  Soon this gave way to laughter and his laugh echoed throughout the area.

   Hospitalman 3.C. Kelly P. Foley took over Lee's "guardianship" when Wilson rotated.

   Last Christmas Lee received bags of toys and clothing from the wives and mothers of the MAG-12 Corpsmen.

   During the Christmas season he blossomed into a TV celebrity.  After Bob Hope had finished a show, Lee was taken backstage by a MAG-12 chaplain, Lt. James W. Butler.  The result was that Lee was interviewed by Bob and given a two-minute segment of Hope's stateside TV show.  He was listed on the credits as Lee-san.

   But time was running out for Lee.  Serious thought had been given his education.  Arrangements were made to send Lee to the United World Mission Orphanage at Da Nang.

   "We had to think of Lee's future," said Lt. Archie V. Lawrence, another MAG-12 chaplain.

   Chaplain Lawrence also said a year's tuition had been donated from the Chapel Fund to help pay for Lee's education.

   And so Lee left the MAG-12 area.   When he arrived at Chu Lai last May, he weighed 24 pounds and had a malnutrition distended waist of 32 inches.  Today, 42 inches tall, Lee weighs 35 pounds and has a 19 inch waist.

18Mar70-17 Reds Killed North of Saigon; Fighting Scattered in I Corps

S&S Vietnam Bureau



   Another Communist band, meanwhile, shelled and then infiltrated Nghia Lap Hamlet 81 miles southeast of Da Nang three hours before dawn Sunday, killing four and wounding seven of its defenders.  Vietnamese Popular Force soldiers and rural development working guarding the hamlet killed 10 of the infiltrators.



My Lai Charges Hit 2 Generals

Photo caption - Lt. Gen. William R. Peers (left), Secretary of the Army Stanley A. Resor, and Army Chief of Staff Gen. William C. Westmoreland announced the findings of a probe headed by Peers into the alleged My Lai massacre.  Fourteen officers have been charged as a result of the probe.  (AP)

WASHINGTON (UPI) - The Army Tuesday instituted court-martial proceedings against 14 top ranking officers, including the present superintendent of West Point for allegedly covering up "a tragedy of major proportions" at My Lai.

   Maj. Gen. Samuel W. Koster, who was commander of the Americal Division in Vietnam at the time of the reported My Lai massacre, was accused of "dereliction in the performance of his duties" and "failure to obey lawful regulations."  He is now superintendent of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y.

   The same charges were filed against Brig. Gen. George H. Young, Jr., the assistant division commander, and Col. Oran K. Henderson, who was commanding the division's 11th Inf. Brigade.

   In addition, Henderson was accused of "false swearing" and "making a false official statement."

   The charges were announced at a Pentagon news conference at which results of an inquiry conducted by Lt. Gen William R. Peers were released.  

   The Peers inquiry was ordered Dec. 24.  In closed hearings beginning Dec. 2, it took 20,000 pages of testimony from 400 witnesses.

   Peers told the news conference that his investigation "clearly established that a tragedy of major proportions occurred thee at My Lai on that date."

   Until Tuesday, 10 military men had been charged in connection with the actual incident, three captains, one lieutenant and six enlisted men.

   The most serious charges have been brought against 1st Lt. William L. Calley, leader of the platoon that swept through My Lai in search of Viet Cong snipers on the day of the massacre.  Calley is accused of premeditated murder of 102 South Vietnamese civilians.

   Calley is scheduled for court-martial trial starting May 18 at Fort Benning, Ga.

   Among others charged is Capt. Ernest L. Medina, 33, commander of Company C, of which the Calley platoon was a part.  Charges were brought against Medina last week.  He is accused of four counts of murder, among other things.

   When asked whether his investigation established that "there was a cover-up," Peers said, "no." But he added "there was testimony and evidence that either wittingly or unwittingly, information was suppressed."

   Army Secretary Stanley Resor and General William C. Westmoreland, Army Chief of Staff, who jointly ordered the Peers investigation, made a brief appearance at the start of the news conference.

   Resor read a statement in which he said the officers were being charged in connection with "failure to investigate and report" the massacre.  He urged that they be considered innocent until proven guilty.

   Also charged as a result of the Peers' investigation were:

   Col. Robert B. Luper, 47, of Federal, Ark., the onetime commander of the 6th Bn., 11th Arty. who was charged with failure to obey a lawful order.

   Col. Nels A. Parson, 49 of Toledo, Ohio, former chief of staff of the Americal Division, who was charged with failure to obey lawful regulations and dereliction in the performance of his duties.

   Lt. Col. David C. Gavin, 39, of Stafford Springs, Miss., former district senior advisor of Son Tinh district, who was charged with failure to obey lawful regulations and dereliction in the performance of his duties, and false swearing.

   Lt. Col. William D. Guinn, Jr., 41 of Greenville, Tn., onetime deputy province advisor in Quang Ngai province, who was charged with failure to obey lawful regulations and dereliction in the performance of his duties, and false swearing.

   Maj. Charles C. Calhoun, 39, of Greenville, S.C., who was serving as executive officer and operations officer of Task Force Barker and who was charged with dereliction in the performance of his duties and failure to report possible misconduct to proper authorities.

   Maj. Robert W. McKnight, 36, of San Diego, Calif., former operations officer of the 11th Inf. Brigade, who was charged with false swearing.

   Maj. Frederic W. Watke, 36, of Omaha, Neb., onetime commander of Company B, 123rd Aviation Bn., who was charged with failure to obey lawful regulations and dereliction in the performance of his duties.

   Capt. Kenneth W. Boatman, 27, of Ralston, Neb., an artillery forward observer at the time of My Lai, who was charged with failure to report possible misconduct to proper authorities.

   Capt. Dennis H. Johnson, 34, of Oakland, Calif., formerly with the 52nd Military Intelligence Detachment, who was charged with failure to obey lawful regulations.

   Medina, of Pico Rivera, Calif., former commander of Company C, who was charged with mis-prision of the felony.  The charge is against a person who allegedly has knowledge of the commission of a felony by another person and who conceals that knowledge.  Making a false entry in an account book for the purpose of concealing a felonious theft committed by another or intimidating a witness of a felony are examples of a positive act of concealment.

   Capt. Thomas K. Willingham, 25, of Allenhurst, N.J., then a 1st Lt. in Company B, 4th Bn., 3rd Inf., one of three units in Task Force Barker, who was charged with making false official statements and misprision of a felony.

   The army said that all of the officers charged, except Medina and Willingham, had been ordered transferred to headquarters of the 1st Army at Ft. Meade, Md.  A spokesman said their physical moves have not yet taken place.

   There will now be what are called "Article 32" formal investigations under the Uniform Code of Military JUstice and then Lt. Gen. Jonathan Seaman, 1st Army commander, will decide on the basis of these grand jury type investigations whether there will be courts-martial.

   The field investigation was conducted shortly after reports that possible slayings of civilians had occurred.  But his investigation resulted in no action.

   A year later, in April last year, a former soldier, Ron Ridenhour, wrote members of Congress about rumors he had heard.  Ridenhour's reports were forwarded to Army headquarters here and a full investigation began which has culminated in 10 former members of Task Force Barker being charged.  Another 27 men still are under investigation in connection with the alleged massacre.

   The Peers board was appointed on Nov. 24 and was ordered to investigate the nature and scope of the original Army field probe, to determine "the adequacy of the investigations.... the subsequent reviews and reports within the chain of command, and possible suppression or withholding of information by persons involved in the incident."

   Hearings began Dec. 2 and about 400 witnesses both in the United States and Vietnam were interrogated by the panel, made up of combat experienced officers below the rank of colonel, Peers, the only general on the panel, led troops for 30 months in Vietnam.

   The three-star general told newsmen he is confident that the outcome of his inquiry, and certain recommendations made for tightening reporting and other procedures, "will prevent an incident of this sort ever again occurring."

   Asked about the character of the area in which the incident occurred, Peers called it "a hotbed of Communism" dating back to the 1930s.

   Peers said under questioning that he does not regard what happened in connection with the My Lai incident and the filed investigation as typical of all officers of the U.S. Army-"far from it," he said.

19Mar70-Accused Bids Sad Farewell

   WEST POINT, N.Y. (AP) -

Maj. Gen. Samuel W. Koster bade an emotional farewell to the 3,700-member Corps of Cadets at the U.S. Military Academy Tuesday.  When he concluded, they sprang to their feet to cheer him for 1 1/2 minutes.

   "My appearance before you today is the most difficult I have ever had to meet," Koster told the Corps at lunchtime formation in the vast West Point dining hall.

   "I want you to be among the first to know that I will soon leave West Point," continued the 50-year old officer, who has been superintendent of the academy since June 26, 1968.

   "I have been informed by my superiors that action has been initiated against me in connection with my performance of duty in the spring of 1968, while serving as commanding general, Americal Division, in Vietnam."

   The Army had announced in Washington earlier that Koster and 13 other officers had been charged with dereliction of duty and other charges in a field investigation of the alleged Son My-My Lai massacre in South Vietnam.

   "I have therefore requested reassignment," Koster told the cadets in regard to the charges against him, "in order to separate the Military Academy and you of the Corps from the continuing flow of public announcements or any other connection with the alleged events which took place in Vietnam involvements of my former command."

   There was an instant of silence as Koster concluded.  The dining hall resounded with cheering and applause.

19Mar70-Bombproof NVA Caves Had Bird's-Eye View of LZ Ross

   SAIGON (UPI) - U.S. Marines discovered an elaborate cave network commanding a wide view of the rugged Que Song Valley near the northern coast and capable of hiding as many as 500 North Vietnamese troops, American military sources said Tuesday.

   The caves and tunnels, some 150 yards long, were located in the western end of the Que Son mountains 15 miles west-north-west of Tam Ky and 350 miles northeast of Saigon.  They overlooked Landing Zone Ross, headquarters base of the 7th Marine Regt., the sources said.

   Most of the caves were empty when Leathernecks first swept into them last Saturday.  They were of solid granite with 20-foot thick roofs which a payload of 250-pound bombs "couldn't even scratch," a Marine officer said.

   The observation points had bamboo furniture and water from pure mountain streams along with beds and tables, medical supplies, rice and meat.  Almost all of the tunnels were interlocking, sources said.

   The Que Son Valley was the scene of bitter fighting last summer in which more than 1,100 North Vietnamese were slain.

   Marines systematically filled the caves with CS nausea gas which would make them uninhabitable for at least six months.  Earlier, Marine artillery barrages were directed against  the network but the shells hardly dented the thick walled caves, sources said.

   The Leathernecks recently have sighted bands of North Vietnamese troops in the area but there has been no contact.  Sources said the Communists apparently left the area just prior to the Marine sweep.

19Mar70-Seabees Crown Queen

   CHU LAI, Vietnam (Special)

-An Army Nurse was crowned Seabee Queen for 1970 by members of U.S. Naval Mobile Construction Bn. 7 in a recent ceremony that climaxed a day-long celebration of the Seabee's 28th anniversary.

   Cmdr. Jack C. Rickels, commanding officer of MCB7; Steelworker Chief Walter G. Bryzinski, MCB 7's oldest Seabee and Builder Constructionman James W. Copperthite, the construction unit's youngest Seabee, placed a crown on the head of Capt. Melinda Tibbs, proclaiming her Queen of the Chu Lai Seabees.  The 24-year-old beauty is assistant head nurse in the emergency room of the 27th Surgical Hospital in Chu Lai.

   Following her coronation, Melinda helped cut a Seabee birthday cake and was presented an MCB Seven plaque by Rickels.  Lt. Col. Chris Christensen, head nurse, and Capts. Grace Squires, Phyllis Breen and Peggy Banks, all nurses at the 27th Surgical Hospital, were also present for the festivities at MCB Seven's Camp Shields.

21Mar70-.....Headlines.....  (Note-The ADVA has a copy of the Accident report)

Photo caption - MAJ. GEN. LLOYD B. RAMSEY

General Hurt, 2 Die in Copter


S&S Staff Correspondent

   DA NANG - Americal Div. commander Maj. Gen. Lloyd B. Ramsey was hoisted from thick jungle Wednesday morning seven miles west of Chu Lai where he had been stranded overnight following the crash of his command and control UH1 helicopter in which two men were killed and six injured, according to military spokesmen.

   The military spokesmen said the general's left arm was broken.

   The copter crashed into brush on the side of a steep mountain at 4 p.m. Tuesday, killing Lt. Col. Robert J. Thomas of Reston, Va., an officer newly assigned to the Americal Div., and Spec. 4 Ray Murhpy of Connersville, Ind., the helicopter crew chief (from 3rd Flt. Plt. A/123rd Avn Bn.)

    The cause of the crash was not determined, but officials said it was not from enemy fire.

   Army and Air Force rescue units flew to the area and an infantry company was airborne to within two miles of the crash site.  It was not until 8 A.M. Wednesday

that the wreckage was sighted through the heavy cloud cover and the survivors were medevaced by Air Force HH53 helicopters of the 37th Air Rescue Det.

   Search aircraft picked up a beeper signal one-half hour after the crash.  Then

at 5:30 P.M. the helicopters made voice contact with the survivors.

   Low clouds, fog and 15-20-foot visibility thwarted attempts to spot the downed aircraft which had landed upside down in 6-foot brush a mid a dense canopy of 50 to 100-foot tall trees.

   Radio contact was lost at 4 a.m. Wednesday and was not regained until 8 a.m. when Maj. Tommy P. James, 34, of Bixby, Okla., arrived int the area in a helicopter.

   James, commander of the 71st Aviation Co., had searched Tuesday until nightfall "walking" his ship up the side of the mountain where the wreckage was thought to be.

   He returned Wednesday morning, diving through the clouds into a valley below the mountain, then hovering once again up the side of the slope.  The survivors picked up his rotor sound and directed him close to their position.

   "We were within 50 to 75-feet of their position before we could see them.  The chopper was upside down with the tail boom snapped off," said James.

   James lowered battalion surgeon, Capt. Luis A. Oliver, on a jungle penetrator.

   "The brush was so thick," said James, "that I had to talk Oliver over to the crash even though he had seen the wreckage from the air and had landed only 20-feet away."

   James said it took Oliver 10 minutes to cross he 20 feet.

   James then flew down the mountainside to the valley where the Air Force choppers were circling and led them back up to the scene where two paramedics, S. Sgt. Jules Smith and Sgt. Stephen Sano were lowered to aid Oliver.

   The survivors were flown to Chu Lai for hospitalization.  All were reported in good condition.

   Besides Gen. Ramsey, the injured were his aide, Capt. Thomas Ruffing; Capt. John P. Tucker, of the division G-3 office, from Lima, Ohio; CW-2 Stephen C. Pike, helicopter commander, of Enterprise Ala.; WO-Ronald D. Franson, the pilot, from San Diego, Calif., and Spec. 4 Mickie L. Reed, a door gunner of Brownsville, Ind.

   Spokesmen said Ramsey was returning from a series of visits to units in the field at the time of the crash.

22Mar70-Battle in the Clouds

   10 GIs Die, 31 Hurt in A Shau Attack

   By SPEC. 4


S&S Staff Correspondent

SAIGON - .......

   A land mine, made from a 250-pound bomb and buried in the marshy flatland 22 miles southeast of Da Nang, killed nine GIs and wounded one Friday morning when touched off by a sweeping Americal Div. armored personnel carrier, an official spokesman said.  According to informed sources, the blast blew a crater 12 fee deep and 20 feet in diameter in destroying the armored vehicle.

22/23Feb70-Fire Victims Eat Red Rice

   Timely Cache Feeds 950

   LANDING ZONE HAWK HILL, Vietnam (Special) - It was a case of great timing.  Ask any one of the nearly 1,000 Vietnamese refugees in the burned out village near Tam Ky.

   The villagers were left homeless after a defective stove exploded and flames raced through the Thang Binh Refugee Center 10 miles north of Tam Ky.

   The fire broke out in the afternoon, and in 90 minutes 950 people had lost their homes along with most everything else they owned.

   "Dirt mounds and scorched pieces of tin were all that was left," said 1st Lt. William Bacon, civil affairs officer with the American Div.'s 2nd Bn., 1st Inf., 196th Inf. Brigade.

   The 29th Civil Affairs Co., working the area, offered to help, but would require at least three days to get supplies to the refugees.  The homeless, however, had to have food immediately.

   Just five miles away to the west of the fire scene, the Americal Div.'s F troop, 17th Cav., had made a timely find - the unit had uncovered and seized 22.000 pounds of rice stashed by the enemy.

   Lt. Bacon, hearing of the blaze and the rice cache at about the same time, arranged to have 8,000 pounds of rice sent to the village the next morning.  

   Next day, a convoy of trucks rumbled down the dirt road into Thang Binh with four tons of the desperately-needed rice.  Before the trucks were completely unloaded, smoke from hundreds of cooking pots was curling up above the rubble.

   More help came, Buddhist scouts came in to help clear away the charred rubble.  The government in Saigon sent materials for temporary shelters.

   Things are now more or less back to normal for the 950 residents of Thang Binh, if life in a war zone can be called normal.

   "When people are in a bind like that, " said civil affairs worker Sgt. Jim Callahan, "we try to help them out . .  . They really appreciated that rice."

23Mar70-Gen. Milloy to Command Americal Div.


   S&s Staff Correspondent

   DA NANG, Vietnam - Former 1st Inf. Div. commander Maj. Gen. Albert E. Milloy was to take over command of the Americal Div. Sunday from Maj. Gen. Lloyd B. Ramsey, who remained hospitalized with a broken left arm sustained Tuesday when his command and control helicopter crashed on the side of a fog-shrouded mountain seven miles west of Chu Lai, according to military sources.

   The crash killed two men aboard and injured six others including the general.  the survivors were not picked up until the next morning.

   Ramsey, who had commanded the division since June 1, 1969, was reported in good condition but confined in traction at the 27th Surgical Hospital in Chu Lai.

   He is to return to the U.S. for reassignment after his release from the hospital, spokesmen said.

   A brief honors and welcoming ceremony for Milloy was scheduled for Sunday afternoon at Americal Div. headquarters in Chu Lai.

   Since Aug. 10, 1969, Milloy  commanded the "Big Red 1," which is currently redeploying to the U.S.

   Meanwhile, Maj, Tommie P. James, who hovered from treetop to treetop up the side of fog-shrouded mountain to locate the downed helicopter, was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross in ceremonies at Chu Lai Friday, according to military spokesmen.

   Ramsey was hauled to safety after a nigh on the jungle mountain seven miles west of Chu Lai following the crash.

   James picked up distress signals from the downed helicopter Tuesday afternoon and searched for the survivors until nightfall and a low fuel supply forced his return to Chu Lai.

   He returned at first light Wednesday and after hovering his UH1 "Huey" up the mountain, finally spotted the wreckage and lowered a doctor to the scene.  He then flew down the mountain and led Air Force rescue helicopters to the scene.

   The award was presented by the Americal Div. assistant div. commander for maneuvers, Brig. Gen. Edwin Powell.

26Mar70-Sgt. Testifies:

   My Lai GIs Used Marijuana

WASHINGTON (AP) - A former Army sergeant told senators Tuesday up to 60 per cent of the men in the Army company accused of involvement in the alleged My Lai massacre had smoked marijuana at least once.

   Some men had used the drug the night before the operation, former Sgt. Charles West testified.

   West said that of the men he knew of Charley Company, 1st Battalion, 20th Infantry, a large number were chronic marijuana users and a larger number had used the substance casually.

    West did not testify concerning any actual incidents during the operation at the Vietnam hamlet Mar 11, 1968 nor did he say he believed there was any link between the alleged killings and marijuana smoking.

   But Chairman Thomas J. Dodd, D-Conn., of the juvenile delinquency subcommittee, declared he personally believes there is such a link.

   And Dr. Joel H. Kaplan, a civilian psychiatrist who formerly headed a neuropsychiatric team at Nh Trang, testified marijuana in Vietnam is much stronger than that used in the United States.

   "Contrary to many popular opinions held here in the states," Kaplan said, "The drug could cause people to become fearful, paranoid, extremely angry and led in a number of cases, to acts of murder, rape and aggravated assault."

   "I did not see anyone on the day of the incident smoking marijuana," West testified.

   "The last time I saw any of the men smoking marijuana was the night before the operation." West said.

    West said he of no officers in charge of troops during the operation at My Lai who used marijuana.

27Mar70-My Lai Charges Hit 3 More

   WASHINGTON (UPI) - Three more GIs have been charged with murder in connection with the My Lai massacre in Vietnam, the Army announced Wednesday.

   The announcement brought to 25 the total suspects against whom charges have been brought by the Army in connection with the reported slaying of several hundred civilian men, women and children in the Vietnamese village of Son My on March 16, 1968.

   Fourteen of those are officers - including two generals - accused of failing to report and investigate the incident.

   The latest charged were identified as Spec. 4 William F. Doherty, 21 of Readville, Mass. Cpl. Kenneth Schiel, 22 of Swartz Creek, Mich., and Spec. 4 Robert W. T'Souvas, 20 of San Jose, Calif.

   All three of the men were charged with "murder in violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice," but there was no indication that they were accused of more than one slaying.

   All three are now at Ft.  .........

29Mar70-U.S. Troops Mow Down 88 Reds Near Cambodia

   S&S Vietnam Bureau

   SAIGON, - ...........

    In I Corps - the five northernmost provinces - Americal Div. troops killed 29 enemy in scattered contacts.

30Mar70-21 Enemy Killed in A Shau After Sniping at Recon Helo

   S&S Vietnam Bureau

SAIGON - ......Photo caption, "Troopers of the Americal Div. check out an enemy bunker while operating 10 miles northwest of Tam Ky.  The F Troop 8th Cav., troops found the bunker abandoned.

......To the southwest on the coastal lowlands near Tam Ky, an Americal Div. patrol tripped an enemy booby trap made form a U.S. 105mm artillery round, killing two and wounding 19, U.S. officials said.


   Vietnamese officials reported 2nd Inf. Div troops sweeping through coastal lowlands seven miles west of Tam Ky in Quang Tin Province made two separate contacts with enemy troops and killed 29 with the help of artillery and air strikes.